Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Ash Wednesday Beginning of Lent

Today is Ash Wednesday and the beginning of Lent. As a child we would give up something we really loved for Lent but I don't think I ever really understood why. We are not Catholic but we always did follow Lent. I know one year I gave up candy, another sweets, and once mashed potatoes, which are all of my favorites. I just did it because we all were but didn't really think about it much except for the fact that it would be a long 40 days.


Now that I am older I understand that Lent is a time to focus on God and to draw closer to him. This should be everyday I know, but this is the time to prepare our hearts for Easter. It is a time of reflection and looking at what we need to change to be closer to God and ask for forgiveness. It is a time spent on God and spiritual things that gets our hearts and minds ready for Easter. I want this year during Lent to be spent reading and meditating and spending time with an open heart with God, growing closer to Him.


I have started a reading plan on youversion.com for the Lent season that focuses on the last week of Jesus' life before His Crucifixion. I have read these passages so many times before but I want to really study and I am praying that the Holy Spirit will reveal what God wants me to learn and see and to grow closer to the Lord.


I hope you will spend time in prayer and reading your Bible and just letting God speak to you too this Lent season.


youversion. com has many Bible reading plans for Lent season at http://blog.youversion.com/category/reading-plans/


Most of all just find a devotion or study or just start reading the Gospels about the last week of Jesus life and spend time focusing on God, Jesus and prepare your hearts for Easter

No comments:

Post a Comment