Thursday, July 23, 2009

Importance of Memorizing

When my granddaughter Mattie was probably 7 or 8 she had been given memory verses to learn at a kids krusade and she new them right off. A week or so later she was asked by my Aunt to tell them to me. She sat there and I said "we all should memorize God's word and hide it in our hearts. Can you remember your verses?" She looked at me and said "I did hide them but now I can't remember where I put them." We all just lost it and laughed and she was off the hook. I tell you this because we all should put Bible verses to memory(and not forget where we put them) so that we can recall them when we need to. PS 119:11 "Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee."(KJV)

There has been two instances lately that I was so glad that I had put some verses to memory because I couldn't read my Bible. The first was when I was having the chemical stress test done and the verses I remembered were a comfort to me while that test was going on. I recalled the verses and prayed and praised God during the whole test. I was so thankful that I knew the verses to recall. The other time is when my diseases act up and I can't read my Bible.
With my Myasthenia Gravis sometimes I have trouble with my eyes focusing and can't read easily. This is a nuisance to me because I read all the time but most important is I try to start each day off reading my Bible and spending time with God. When my eyes don't want to work then I resort to going over verses and passages I have put to memory in place of reading the Bible. This way I am still in God's word and he still speaks to me through his word.

Another reason that I think it is important to memorize God's word is that when we are in a place where we need comfort, guidance, help in resisting temptation, or reassurance, God will bring those verses to our minds. This can be anywhere at work, school, driving down the road, or yes even during medical tests. 2 Tim 3:16 (16)"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: (17)That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works."(KJV)

I am going to try to learn at least one new verse a week so that when I need to recall them I will know them.
My verse for this week is: Is 41:10 Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment