Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Boxed In

How many times have we heard or quoted the verse Phil. 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me? I am sure numerous amount of times. When it comes down to it though how many times do we still say I don't think I can or that isn't possible or I can't do it? I guess we think the verse reads I can do most or some things. I am always saying that people limit me because of me being in a wheel chair and then when I was talking to my Granddaughter a couple of weeks ago about going on mission trips I guess I was caught thinking this way too. We were both saying how it would be great to go on one of the mission trips. I told her as a teen I wanted to be a missionary or go on a mission trip but didn't have the opportunity to and now that I am in a church that has mission trips I can't because of being in a wheelchair. Immediately this voice in my head said " So now you are limiting me in what I can do" so I quickly corrected what I was saying and said I would be able to still if God provided a way for me to go. See I was putting God in a box and limiting what he could do when it came to me. I was not having faith that even where I am God can and would make a way for me to go on the missions trips if that was what he had for me to do.
If God tells us he wants us to do something then we can do it because he will go with us and provide a way for us to complete the task he has for us to do. Our church Saturday with 10 or 11 other churches in the metro area had a serve day and went out and met needs of organizations that are helping people. My husband Mike and the grand kids were going to go work and so I was praying that God would help me not to be jealous and envious of their getting to go and me not being able to and then I tacked on to the prayer that if God could find a job for me to do so that I could help too that would be greatly appreciated. The next day when Mike talked to them about what he and the kids were to do on Saturday he happened to ask if there would be a place for me and sure enough they had a job that I could do in registration. God has answered my prayer and I was so excited. Saturday came and it was to be one of the hottest days of the year yet and with my myasthenia heat makes me weaker and with my breathing problems heat and humidity makes it difficult to breath. I am not suppose to be in the heat or humidity for long because I can get into a crisis easily but I just prayed that God would provide a way. I shouldn't be able to go and then stay out there but I decided not to box God in but trust him and if I was to be there then he would make it possible. God was good to me that day. We got there about 6am and we started in about 6:30am. I was in the sun until about noon but there was a breeze. Mike and the kids worked hard all day and I was able to stay there until 3:30pm right along with them working at my registration table. There was 276 registered volunteers doing yard work, plumbing, carpentry, painting and cleaning out 6ft window wells as well as a number of other things and I was one of them. When we got home Mike and I were talking about how my being able to stay all day and never getting too hot or having trouble breathing or getting to weak was definitely a God thing because the temperature was in the 90's and it was a hot day and I should not of been able to last more than an hour at the most. God answered my prayer and made a way for me to do what shouldn't have been possible for me to do with my conditions. See God has a job and purpose for all of us no matter where we are. We are the ones who put God in a box and limit him in what he can do for us. So next time you feel like God is asking you to do something you don't think you can take the lid off the box and let God do his wondrous works through you. Do not limit God and he will greatly bless you and others around you.

No comments:

Post a Comment