Monday, January 5, 2009

What is this thing called Faith?

What is Faith? In Webster’s dictionary it says: Faith (1): firm belief in something for which there is no proof (2): complete trust.
In the bible it says faith is believing in that which can not be seen. Heb. 11:1 “Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.” (KJV) So faith is believing without seeing. Faith in God is believing in Him and trusting God in every way. As a child growing up I was brought up in a Christian home and was surrounded by people that had great faith in God and who taught me about faith. My Dad and Mom showed me how to live by faith and the importance of prayer. They didn’t just talk about having faith but they daily put their faith in practice in all parts of their lives. I was lucky to have Grandparents and an Aunt that also were very strong in their faith in God. When my Grandmother was diagnosed with cancer her faith in God not only sustained her and all of the rest of the family, but it was seen by all those who came in contact with her. I can remember going into her room at the hospital and there would be Christian music playing and she would be very peaceful. She was a great witness to her doctors and nurses too because of her faith in God during her illness. She never forgot that God was in control and her love for Him and God’s love for her sustained her till He took her home. Faith then is not just believing in God but it is living for God also. It is daily walking with God as the center of our lives. When something comes along such as illness if you only talk about faith but don't really live by faith then that is when we stumble. When I got sick I had these examples from my life of faith and I had a strong faith in God and so it seemed to me only natural to rely on that faith and in God through this illness. I put my faith to work and I know and believe that God has a plan for my life and as long as I live by faith in Him and stay in His plan for me then what could be better. Even if that means having this and other illness. Faith is not just a word we say but it is a way of living with God as the center of our lives. I have and had great examples of people living by faith in my life through my family.
We can find many examples in the Bible of people of faith who not only proclaimed they had faith but also practiced their faith in their lives. This is what I want to share in the coming blogs examples of men and women of faith in the Bible. These people can show us how to be faithful and grow in our faith in God by their examples.
James 2:17-18 "Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works." (KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment