Saturday, March 18, 2017

Our Journey To See History Over The Last Few Months

No automatic alt text available.




It has been awhile since I have posted anything but that is going to change. I had debated on shutting this blog down since I hadn't kept up with it lately and just didn't think it was of interest to anyone but me. Then I listened to rootstech livestream and they talked about the importance of  a journal and leaving the written word for our family to have, so I decided if for no other reason I will try to keep this blog going. It will be a journal of our trips, my thoughts and what is going on. I will still write a few devotions also along the way and maybe even share some of my poems from my booklet I have copyrighted and sent to the Library of Congress. We will see, but I sure would like to know if anyone is following along with me here on this blog. Just leave a comment or something so I know you are there.

My husband Mike and I have been doing what I like to call Journey's To See History and Find Ancestors. We have been traveling on Historic RT 66 in Missouri, Kansas and a small part of Oklahoma. Traveling the back roads and finding ghost towns along are journey has been interesting. We have found places we never new existed and yet wish we had found them sooner. It has been so much fun to go along to see things in the surrounding area going for a day or two. We have visited places our ancestors lived as well as did cemetery sleuthing of their final resting places. We have taken pictures of old buildings, some in places that our ancestors lived and would have seen when they were live, as well as courthouses, parks and the road we are traveling on. It has been a wonderful journey but it isn't done yet. We try to at least once a month if not once a week go on our journey to see history or find ancestors and their stomping grounds. I hope you enjoy traveling with us through pictures and comments and if you have any suggestions of places to see leave a comment.

I am sharing some of our earlier trips in pictures here today and will try to once a week share what we have been seeing.

Today is some of our first journeys when we went on. In July 2016 we went to Baxter Springs KS and drove the RT 66 through there. We went to the museum also which if you ever get a chance to do it is a wonderful museum, probably one of the best little museums I have been too.


We drove RT 66 from Baxter Springs KS to Miami OK.



This is an old RT 66 filling station that is now a RT 66 Museum
Image may contain: people standing and outdoor

 Fort Blair Baxter Spring KS Where the Baxter Springs Massacre happened Oct 6, 1863
 National Cemetery Plot # 2 in Baxter Springs KS
 A few of the many displays at the Baxter Springs KS Museum


Downtown Baxter Springs KS
Downtown Miami OK and RT 66 Sign over road
I will continue to catch you up on our Journey's To See History in the next few days.


No comments:

Post a Comment